hotel barge holidays in france
10% discount or more on selected 2020 departures
roi soleil - canal du midi
canal cruising in france
hotel barge in france
Roi Soleil combines the best of yachts and barges.
Classic motor yachts to cruise in style.
Click here to check our specials
Roi Soleil - canal du midiCanal Barge in France
"As true veterans of barging on the waterways of France, we have no hesitancy in declaring
this journey as the finest of them all!"
Roi Soleil has more to do with luxury yachting than barging - hence the term 'River Yacht'... enjoy a personalized cruise for up to 6 passengers, attended by 4 crew, for a cruise high on luxurious comfort and mouthwatering delights.. . make discoveries in an authentic region rich in history and ancient architecture, unspoiled nature, wine, food and crafts. Roi Soleil is just as beautiful to look at as pleasant to visit. Totally irresistible for boat lovers.
THE 6 PASSENGER BARGE Roi Soleil
Roi Soleil combines the best of yachts and barges. Her lines and mahogany and brass trim are inspired by the classic motor yachts of the 1920's while her interior brings you the best of contemporary design and comfort. The stylish open plan saloon with its fireplace, bar and demonstration kitchen, panoramic views through no less than 20 windows, strong reverse cycle AC, and the elegant dining area offer you a level of comfort equivalent to a luxury motor yacht. Three spacious, air conditioned staterooms and en-suite bathrooms in Provençal style, equipped with thermostatically controlled showers and heated towel racks. The separate forward sun deck, the aft teak deck with Spa Pool, the outside dining area under the retractable canopy either fully shaded or heated, are all pure luxury yachting.
itinerary - CANAL DU MIDI CRUISE
SUNDAY - Béziers East- Cassafiere to Portiragnes
- Transfer, welcome on-board, and cocktails
- Navigation along the canal through a rural area with wetlands, a reserve for flamingoes and horses.
MONDAY - Portiragnes to Fonserannes
- sailing through the great locks of Fonserannes (9 locks staircase)
- morning excursion to historical city of Pézenas ( famed architecture, many artisans & antiques, option to add a wine tasting at a prized property)
- or excursion to the impressive hill village of Roquebrun by the river Orb (possible to swim or kayak)
- and / or - visit to the pre-roman Oppidum of Enserune, a major archaeological site with panoramic views of the surrounding valleys
- and / or - visit Béziers historical centre and shops
TUESDAY - Fonserranne to Capestang
- sailing into the heart of the historic village of Capestang
- private visit to the Cistercian Abbey of Fontroide, one of the finest examples in France
- and /or excursion to the impressive hill village of Roquebrun by the river Orb (possible to swim or kayak)
- and / or a visit a bull and horse ranch with the opportunity to round up the bulls on horseback
- and / or wine tasting at the cellar of a top sommelier who supplies Michelin starred chefs.
WEDNESDAY - Capestang to La Croisade or Somail
- morning excursion to the charming City of Narbonne that was the Roman Capital of the early Gaule - its vibrant food market - the famed art and roman archeology museums within the Bishop Palace- many original shops along cobbled streets and plazas - a highlight of the week
- afternoon sailing to the peaceful country village of Somail
- sailing beneath the smallest bridge in France
THURSDAY - Somail to Paraza
- morning visit to the hill village of Minerve, which is a beautiful natural site that has a dramatic history dating back to the Crusades.
- visit to prized olive oil mill, Oulibo, and a historic Languedoc village
- short sail to the village centre to explore Somail impressive antique bookstore
- afternoon sail to Paraza, and mooring by an ancient canal bridge with views across the valley
- private wine tasting in a renown Minervois domain with 15 varietals
FRIDAY - Paraza to Homps
- visit to the fortified city of Carcassonne - Europe's largest medieval fortress - a great place to be transported into medieval history and a shopping opportunity.
- or visit medieval village of Lagrasse and its artisans.
- afternoon sailing to Homps with many locks
SATURDAY - 10 ama leisurely breakfast onboard then transfer to departure point by 10 am
On alternate weeks the cruise will be in the reverse direction. This is a sample itinerary and is subject to change.
us$ price on request
private barge for 6
private barge for 4
6 nights all inclusive
22 Mar-18 Apr / 12 Jul - 15 aug / 11-31 Oct
6 nights all inclusive
19 Apr - 11 Jul / 16 Aug - 10 Oct
Price for Roi Soleil includes:
Round trip transfers in air conditioned vehicle from pre-arranged meeting point to the canal barge and return after the barge cruise • Accommodation for up to 6 passengers for 6 nights in 3 double staterooms with en-suite bathrooms • All meals including wine with meals and drinks from the bar, other than vintage wines, Champagnes. • Excursions in the private air conditioned vehicle and admittance fees as stipulated • Use of on-board bicycles • Champagne welcome aboard • Morning coffee and afternoon tea. • Wireless internet access.
These rates do not include:• Insurance • Personal expenses • Gratuities to the crew (between 7 and 10%)
To avoid currency exchange fees
• Australians can pay in Australian dollars by direct deposit or credit card.
• New Zealanders can pay in New Zealand dollars by direct deposit or credit card.
• US citizens will be charged in US dollars using credit card.